Partner in Publishing is seeking an Editorial Manager (STEM), on behalf of our client, a full-service content production company supporting the print-to-digital transformation for the world’s leading publishers and other large content providers.
Reporting to the Vice President, Content Development, the Editorial Manager (STEM) plans assigned projects, directs their development, and ensures their high quality completion in accordance with schedule and budget.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage assigned project(s)
- Provide strategic direction for managing STEM content development on an ongoing basis.
- Manage the development of educational products, ensuring that the products meet the company’s and client’s quality and standards. Implement company best practices on all projects.
- Identify and assign project editorial team, manage project editorial resources, help monitor editorial budget, and adhere to schedule to ensure high quality, on time, profitable projects.
- Collaborate with Project Manager to determine editorial priorities, workflows, budgets, and target resources for projects.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to produce materials exceeding client objectives.
- Collaborate with Vice President Content Development to prepare profitable, winning project bids.
- Support Vice President Content Development in innovating new processes and approaches to improve editorial effectiveness on current projects and grow department capabilities.
Develop and maintain effective client communications
- Oversee content development, editing of materials, and quality control reviews per client’s directive.
- Perform quality control reviews of project deliverables for clarity, accuracy, creativity, grade appropriateness, and adherence to client’s language requirements, style guides, and instructional plans.
- Or, coordinate manuscript review by SMEs.
- Monitor client expectations and ensure client satisfaction.
- Take a customer service approach on all matters, internal and external.
- Act as liaison to clients and ensure pleasant and effective working relations.
- Proactively research and resolve internal and external customer concerns.
- Oversee editorial staff and subcon editorial resources.
- Promote innovative approaches and solutions to problems.
- Manage, train, and oversee deliverables of editorial resources.
Build department in area of expertise
- Maintain subject-matter expertise and knowledge of educational trends and practices, especially in digital products.
- Support Vice President Content Development in defining best practices and expanding into new markets.
- Develop and maintain editorial standards.
- Implement editorial processes and procedures to optimize available resources for new product development.
- Recruit, train, and work with writers, editors, and editorial services resources.
- Contribute information as requested to support sales and marketing efforts.
MEASURES OR INDICATORS OF EFFECTIVENESS
Performance in this position will most often be measured or evaluated by:
- Successful working relationships with clients demonstrated by feedback and renewal business from clients.
- Successful working relationships with colleagues demonstrated by feedback and willingness to collaborate on future projects.
- Quality and timely delivery of project deliverables to the client.
- Management of staff and editorial subcons.
- Monitoring of budget in conjunction with Project Manager.
Skills / Knowledge / Education
- Superlative writing and editorial skills.
- Ability to coordinate and plan projects with other managers.
- Ability to train and supervise writing, editing, and editorial services resources.
- Knowledge of latest publishing technology to develop manuscript to ensure efficient delivery of projects.
- Expertise in STEM content areas.
- Experience in developing print and digital educational materials for both students and teachers.
- 5+ years successful experience in an editorial leadership position at a similar vendor or an educational publisher.
- B.A. or B.S. degree in a STEM field required; master’s degree preferred.